Welcome to the Cushing Library’s 1,00 Books before Kindergarten program!
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge– all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
The Cushing Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to 5 years can participate. Just follow these steps:
- Register: Sign up at the Cushing Library
- Track your Reading: Write down each book you read with your child in a lined notebook or keep track on your phone with the Apple or Android app.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in story time, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100- Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, celebrate! Download and print out your 100-book Milestone sign or make your own and take a picture of your child with it to tell your friends and family your child’s progress! Share the pictures on Facebook* , Instagram*, or Twitter* and talk about what you and your child are doing. Don’t forget to email your picture to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with their name so we can share your child’s achievement on our website.
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Print out your certificate and take a picture to share on your social media to tell the world about your child’s accomplishments. Come celebrate at the library and see your child’s name placed on the 1,000 Book Wall of Fame.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit the Cushing Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Visit the Cushing Library for a wide selection of books to check out to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!